Water Supply Conditions
Thank you for helping Stanford University conserve water at a critical time during the drought. Governor Newsom has rolled back some of the state’s drought restrictions, however, at a statewide level, the ban on potable water irrigation of non-functional turf in commercial, industrial, and institutional areas (including multi-family residential properties) remains in effect.
Conservation will remain essential at Stanford and in California, and prohibitions of wasteful water use will continue to remain effective including:
· Using potable water to wash sidewalks and driveways (except for health and safety needs);
· Allowing more than incidental runoff when irrigating turf and other ornamental landscapes;
· Using hoses without automatic shutoff nozzles to wash motor vehicles;
· Using potable water in ornamental fountains or decorative water features that do not recirculate the water;
· Irrigating turf and ornamental landscape during and within 48 hours following measurable rainfall.
Last updated: June 2023